Since it’s the holidays, and today is Christmas, we’ve put together some mind blowing factoids that you may not know.
Normally, we like to stick with one factoid and expand upon it per article. But every now and then, we’ll do what we like to call “pulp facts”. A mishmash of ‘Did you know’ informational tidbits to enlighten your mind. And now onward to the factoids!
Did you know?
- Just hours before he was assassinated, Abraham Lincoln had signed the papers which created the Secret Service.
- $1,000,000 dollars of gold would fit into a cube just over 4 inches on a side. However, that same cube, if full, would weigh almost 60 pounds.
- Venus’s sun rises are a bit different than Earth’s. There, the sun rises in the West and sets in the East. It is believed that something huge collided with Venus early in its formation causing the anomaly. Uranus also has a strange rotation; it too is believed to have been hit by something, causing its unusual side rotation.
- A blue whale’s heart is the size of a Volkswagen (And you could swim through it’s arteries).
- In World War 2, the Allied forces were able to figure out the number of German tanks being produced because the Germans left the serial numbers on them. Oops.
- The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.
- During the age of the dinosaurs, the sun was 10% dimmer than it is now. The moon was also significantly closer to the earth, and would appear to be much larger in the sky than it is now.
- There are more molecules of water in a cup of water than cups of water in all the world’s oceans. This means that a few molecules in every cup of water you drink have passed through the kidneys of Genghis Khan, Napoleon, Abe Lincoln or even Hitler.
- A whip makes a cracking sound because its tip moves so fast it breaks the sound barrier and creates a small sonic boom.
- Honey is the only food known that never spoils.
- The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system in India, employing over 1.6 million people.
- The word “set” has the most definitions in the English language.
- A typical bed usually houses over 6 billion dust mites and 90% of the dust particles in your house are made from dead skin.
- In 1883, the explosion of the volcano Krakatau shot so much dust into the earth’s atmosphere that sunsets appeared green and the moon appeared blue around the world for almost two years.
- The chemical elements of the universe are forged in the cores of high-mass stars that end their lives in spectacular explosions, enriching their host galaxies with the chemical ingredients of life as we know it. The result? The four most common chemically active elements in the universe—nitrogen, carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen—are the four most common elements of life on Earth. We are not simply in the universe. The universe is in us. You are literally made out of stardust.